UCHS CS1 - Unit 2: Software Engineering
App Inventor 2 is an online application (cloud based), that is hosted by a server on the internet.
1. To run app inventor, use Chrome, Safari, or Firefox. Do not use internet explorer or other browsers - your programs may not run! Go to
2. Set up an account in app inventor 2. The program uses your gmail account to login and save your files. Follow the setup directions.
3. To test app inventor with your Android device, follow the directions below:
Click HERE to download the Test app. (testapp.aia)
*** Remember where your computer downloads the file!***
4. Open App Inventor 2 : ai2.appinventor.mit.edu. Go to Projects, select Import Project (aia) from my computer. Browse and select the testapp.aia from your computer.
5. When the project opens, you will be viewing the App Inventor Designer Screen. This is where you design the User Interface (UI) for your apps.
6. Switch to BLOCKS Editor by clicking on Blocks on the tip right hand corner of the application window. The Blocks Editor is where all the coding happens. The blocks connect like puzzle pieces. This helps beginning programmers have fewer syntax errors.
Read the code in the blocks. Can you tell what this app will do?
7. The blocks from this app will cause the android device to display a congratulatory message on the screen and play a sound. Soon you will write your own app.
8. To RUN the app on your device, Start MIT ai2 Companion app on your android device.
9. In app inventor program on your computer, click Connect at the top of the screen, and select AI Companion. A barcode will come up. Hold your android device up to the barcode, so the device can read it.
If everything is running properly, you should see the Test App on your android device.